Frequently Asked Questions
Statute and rules for PT/PTA and AT are located within the 'Public' tab. Answers to most frequently asked questions may be located within the 'Forms' tab. Please download the applicable form to view all requirements related to that request. For any additional questions you may have after reviewing this information, please see below. All other inquiries may be emailed to our office at email@example.com. If an answer is not readily available, it will be discussed at our next board meeting. This board does not address any billing or insurance issues.
Please note that all responses the West Virginia Board of Physical Therapy (hereinafter “Board”) gives to individual questions are based solely upon WV Code § 30-20-1 et seq. and the Code of State Rules 16-1-1 et seq. These Statutory and Regulatory provisions govern the jurisdiction of the Board, and its sole purpose of regulating the practice of Physical Therapy and the protection of the public. As such, the responses do not take into account any billing issues and the regulations that govern such reimbursement. Moreover, a provider should consult with his/her legal counsel for questions pertaining to billing for Physical Therapy services.
- 1. What is the processing time frame for applications/forms?
For initial licensure and reactivation applications, time frames for completion cannot be determined, as processing timelines vary for the entities submitting your additional requirements (verifications, transcripts, etc.). Applications with yes answers may be placed on hold for Board review and consideration at the next scheduled Board meeting. Once all requirements are received, a license is issued/reinstated within 2 business days and a copy of your license will be mailed to you. You may also print your license from your account (please see question number 5) or verify your licensure status immediately via our online verification system located within the 'Public' tab. Complimentary wall certificates require the Board Chair’s signature and are mailed after the next quarterly meeting.
Request forms are processed within two business days.
Forms must be completed in its entirety to be accepted. If any application requirements are not fulfilled, it will be returned to you for completion/correction, and this will delay your request. Our office will only contact you for issues regarding your application. All other requirements are solely the responsibility of the applicant. Please read and follow all instructions carefully.
- 2. How can I check the status of my application?
- 3. What forms of payment are accepted?
- 4. How can I receive a receipt for my payment?
- 5. What is my licensee account, and how do I use it?
- 6. Why am I unable to log in to my licensee account with the information from the previous question?
- 7. How do I know if I have been made eligible to test?
- 8. Why have I not been made eligible to test yet?
- 9. How can I submit contact information changes to the board, and why is this rule so important?
- 10. If a CE course is approved by another state Physical Therapy board or FSBPT’s ProCert, is it automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 11. If a CE course is provided by my employer, is it automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 12. Are any CE courses automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 13. How can I verify if a CE course is WV Board approved?
- 14. If a CE course was approved in a previous year but not the year it was taken, can I still receive credit?
- 15. How can I obtain credit for an unapproved CE course I have already taken or wish to take?
- 16. Can I use extra CE hours from a previous renewal period towards the next?
- 17. Do a certain number of my CE hours need to be classroom versus online?
- 18. Do I have to take exactly 12 CE hours each year?
- 19. Do new graduates have to complete the CE requirements for their first renewal?
- 20. Why is no grace period given for renewals?
- 21. How can I file a complaint against a licensee?